Honor Flight | Teen Ink

Honor Flight

March 12, 2018
By Herbstt GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Herbstt GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Vietnam War Veteran,

I wanted to start out by saying welcome home, because I know you and your fellow veterans were not treated with respect when you first returned, despite your service. You were not treated with the care and recognition of the efforts you put forth, and sacrifices for our country. As an individual this frustrates me immensely because nobody deserves that.

My name is Thomas H., and I’m a junior in high school and I’m writing to you today because you need to be recognized for all the sacrifices you have made to give me a future. We talked about the Vietnam War in class; however, it gave no justice to what it actually was like. We learned about the brutality and conditions of the war, as well as how there wasn’t much appreciation for you when you returned. This is my main reason for writing to you is to welcome you home.

A hero to me is someone who gives up himself for the wellbeing of others. This description perfectly suits yourself and the sacrifices you endured to ensure the safety for my future.

I commend you for the selfless sacrifices you made for the greater good of what I call home. Although I don't know what it's like to serve in a war, I do know how everyone deserves to be loved. It pains me to think that many veterans like yourself had little to no commendation in your returnal.

I have seven amazing family members ranging from great grandmothers, to aunts and uncles who served in a variety of positions. I regret not taking the opportunity to converse with my great grandmother about her honorable service for the Coast Guard, as she passed last week.

I’m truly thankful for your courageous selfless acts that promised me the safety and freedom I have.

Thank you for your service,
Thomas H.