Thank You, Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You, Veteran

By 9loganm GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
9loganm GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

Thank you so much, and welcome home. The way you were treated coming home after Vietnam was not deserved. I don’t understand how someone could hate on somebody who served for them and the country. You deserve a welcoming that is true to what you did for this country.

My name is Logan, and I am an 11th grader in high school. Being 17 years old, I can’t imagine leaving my family and not being with them, especially for a war that was so hated. I got to watch the Honor Flight movie, and it inspired me to write this letter. I thought this letter would be a great way for me to express my gratitude towards you. I hope being welcomed this time around makes up for what happened after the war.

I am so thankful that you went to war even when it may have meant losing communication with your family. I can’t imagine going through something this hard and having to think my family might not talk to me. The war in Vietnam was one of the most brutal wars, and for that, I am thankful for you and what you went through for me.

You are a hero. You are someone who sacrificed for the country and its people, and I think that is amazing and truly inspiring. There are a lot of people in this world who couldn’t do that, and that makes you very special.

Overall, I wanted to say welcome home. The welcoming you got after the war was so disrespectful, and you didn’t deserve that. I can’t imagine being treated like that after serving. Thank you for your bravery, and I hope the Honor Flight gives you a welcoming that will stay with you forever and makes up (at least a little bit) for what happened after the war.

Thank you,
Logan