Why I Am Thankful for War Veterans | Teen Ink

Why I Am Thankful for War Veterans

By noah klockow SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
noah klockow SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam War Hero’s,

Welcome Home! It is difficult coming home after you put your life on the line and having loved ones and strangers treat you with disrespect. I am thankful and grateful you are here. As most people say: “There’s no place like home.” I am writing this letter because I am beyond thankful for all  you have done. I am also writing this to give you the welcome and thank you you deserved all those years ago.

I was informed that you and many others were aboard the Honor Flight that flew into Washington D.C to see the war memorials made in your honor. If you get the chance, could you write back and tell me what it was like for you to see these memorials or how it made you feel?. I visited the Vietnam Memorial and the WWII memorial in Washington D.C when I was younger. I visited with my uncle. He spent almost two hours searching for one of his best friends name who had died in battle. After time went on, he had called me over to show me the name of a hero and the name of his best friend.

My name is Noah K. I am a junior in high school. Currently I am preparing for college, as it is a scary process that everyone goes through. In similarity, I will leave home at the age of 18 just like you did, instead it was a war you left for. My uncle fought in Vietnam (possibly alongside you) and was medic in the U.S Army at the time. He tells me stories about the war and what it was like coming home. Most of his stories are emotional and leave me speechless. You deserve all the love and gratitude this world can offer. You deserve the welcome home that every hero should have and I am at my best to give it to you.

It’s been years since the war happened but I can’t express into words the amount gratitude, respect, and love I have for heros like you. Not all heros were capes...our heros wear the flag that represents this country. Thank you for your service, you are the foundation which makes this country great. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Noah K.