Dear Vietnam Veteran | Teen Ink

Dear Vietnam Veteran

By JimLahey SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
JimLahey SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

First off I would just like to say welcome home. I’m sure you have had a long day but I hope it was great. I hope you are enjoying this mail call. You fully deserve it. I am truly blessed that you had the bravery to serve for our country.

My name is Ryan. I am a senior in high school. Our class watched a video on the Honor Flight and it was truly amazing. I am blessed that there is an organization that gives veterans an opportunity to go see the monuments at the capital. Every single monument represents so much in such a little display.

My eighth grade class took a trip to Washington D.C. to go see the monuments and it was quite the experience. The Vietnam Wall was breathtaking. The long wall put the impact of the war in perspective. I can’t imagine the emotions from seeing that wall if you had actually been in the war. The feeling you recieve after seeing the tens of thousands of names cannot be put into words. The trip made me more thankful and feel gratitude for the bold men and women like you who put their lives at stake for us.

I can't imagine being drafted and deployed. I don’t know if I could handle that or not. Leaving my family at 18 would be overwhelming. The amount of courage you needed is incredible.

I am thankful men and women like you exist. If it weren’t for people like you, the world would not be the same. I just want to welcome you home and hope you receive a warm welcoming and a much better one then you might have received when you first got back from the war. I hope you made some wonderful memories on your trip today and have a splendid rest of your day. Thank you for your sacrifice!

With appreciation,
Ryan