Dear Wisconsin Veteran | Teen Ink

Dear Wisconsin Veteran

By thewritinggirl GOLD, Oconomowoc , Wisconsin
thewritinggirl GOLD, Oconomowoc , Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam War Veteran,

What a day you have had! From walking around the beautiful monuments made in your honor, to meeting new people, and now receiving these letters, you have had one day that will be imprinted on your memory.
I first want to say thank you, and I am sorry you did not get the welcome you deserved coming home from Vietnam. I hope this letter and this day make you feel the love and gratefulness we have towards you, as we finally welcome you home to Wisconsin.

My name is Mia; I am a junior in high school in Wisconsin. When my high school years end and adulthood begins, I want to become a nurse. Even though a nurse takes some focus and grit, I can only imagine the amount of determination needed for the Army, and war. So many thoughts would be running through my mind, as you and your fellow servicemen and women were calm and collected, knowing this was your duty, to serve our country.
You and your fellow veterans are strong, passionate, hard working men who led us overseas to a brighter future, and we are so grateful. Without you, we can only imagine where our world could have been today.

I appreciate the time and dedication you put into your duties and how you have made such an impact on the United States. Thank you for your service.

I have a small war memorial park by my house. Everytime I walk around the park, I get astounded by the number of names on the slabs of rock, and how you and your fellow servicemen and women sacrificed your own lives for us, for the good of the United States.

Even though you may have not felt like one on your return home, you are a hero. You were strong enough to sign up for the war, you were faithful enough to fight, and you brought to us the world that we live in today. These memorials were created to remember those who have fallen, and as a way to say thank you to the all of you who are still with us here today.

With that said, I hope I have expressed my extreme gratefulness and love of the work you have done. Thank you for your service, and once again, Welcome Home.

Sincerely,
Mia