American Veterans Thank You | Teen Ink

American Veterans Thank You

By DogMan21 GOLD, Dousman, Wisconsin
DogMan21 GOLD, Dousman, Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

Thank you for serving this country that I love so much. Also welcome home. I can not imagine what it was like coming home from Vietnam where people were not happy with the war. It was disgusting and wrong for Americans to treat the vets like that and I want you to know that people care about your service and respect the sacrifice you made.

I got interested in writing to a veteran because I watched a few honor flight videos and was humbled to know that I could write to one. Also I have several Vietnam veterans in my family and one of my uncles, William Kirkpatrick, was killed at Firebase Mary Ann and is on the wall at the Vietnam Memorial. Being a veteran means so much to me and my family and I wanted to thank one myself. 

I hope you had an excellent time on your trip with Honor Flight and also want you to have a satisfying welcome home because you deserve it. When you have had the experience you have had a simple thank you doesn't cut it. And even if that sounds kind of corny, I want you to know that this letter is beyond a thank you for your service. It is a big welcome home and a token of respect towards someone that took time from their lives for the average citizen of the US.

With all of my uncles and my grandpa being Vietnam Veterans, I have heard the stories about how they thought that people didn't care about the troops coming home and that people did not want to talk to them about their experiences. That isn't the case your service is why Americans do what they do. Having tons of veterans in my family helps me understand how much sacrifice was made and makes me appreciate what you did.  And for that once again I want to say thank you and welcome home.