Dear Vietnam Veteran | Teen Ink

Dear Vietnam Veteran

By 8morrow SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
8morrow SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

It’s 2018, and we have the world at our fingertips. The only concerns children have is if their phone is charged and how will they pay for college. Adults stress about work, and how they will manage to pay the bills. But things weren’t always this way.

My name is Megan. I am from Hartland, WI and nothing traumatic happens here. We are sheltered. Schools teach about the wars and make us aware of what all happened so we don't repeat the past. But we are unaware of the true sacrifices you made for us. It’s 2018 and nothing horrible happens here because of your sacrifice and service.

When you were my age, the United States was preparing for war and the likelihood of you going was too high. Terrifying how that must've felt, I couldn't imagine having to sacrifice what you did. How silly that must sound being scared to put my country first, but it’s 2018 and the world would be completely different without you.
I play softball. I have a drive for competition that pushes me to be better than the person next to me. I make a diving play or hit the final run in to win the game I get called a “lifesaver” or a  “hero” but that is all talk. You and I are very different. I play games and am a fake “hero” while you are a real one. A hero is a strong word, a hero is someone so incredibly selfless and caring that they put others before them, you made sacrifices for millions of lives then and decades to come.

You are my hero. You are why I have been given the world at my fingertips. You were taken for granted when you came home from the war, but that ends today. Thank you for the sacrifices you've made, and finally welcome home. 

Sincerely,
     Megan