Dear Vietnam Veteran | Teen Ink

Dear Vietnam Veteran

March 9, 2018
By kzunk GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
kzunk GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
15 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I sit here, writing to you in safety. I sit here, writing to you with privilege. I sit here, writing to you with freedom. It’s all thanks to you. Because of your sacrifice I, and other Americans, have the right to live our lives our way, with the right to speak our mind, without consequences. We have opportunities available and the liberty to choose. For that, I thank you.

 

Your service and coming back home was difficult, especially if you are a Vietnam War vet. Coming back from the trauma of war is already difficult, but during the Vietnam War, there were many Americans who mistreated you. Whether or not you were for the war, you still fulfilled the duty you were forced to, and you did not deserve the hatred and disrespect you got when you got home. For this, I want to say sorry and welcome home.


I’m about to go out into the world as new and free person. America means so much to me. I have opportunities to choose who I want to be, and how I want to do it. My patriotism stems from my appreciation for veterans who serve and who’ve served before. I appreciate the sacrifice you made for me. You most likely were drafted at age 18, so you probably gave up aspirations to fight in the war. That’s something some Americans aren’t strong enough to do, and I’m thankful you were.


As a person with privilege, I never thought about joining the military. However I am aware that’s a privilege you didn’t have, and I feel sympathetic for you. I can’t imagine giving up opportunities or dreams. So, thank you. Thank you for your service to this country, for giving up the most for the rest of us.


The author's comments:

We wrote a letter to a veteran.