Dear Vietnam Veteran | Teen Ink

Dear Vietnam Veteran

March 9, 2018
By FruityCitrus GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
FruityCitrus GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
17 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

I want to thank you so very much for your service.  I know when you came back, you weren’t welcomed home in the same way many of your fellow servicemen and women, who fought in other wars, were. 

I’m a senior in High School.  Having just turned eighteen and watching my twin brother have to sign up for the draft, I can’t even imagine how scary this time was for you.  I know the chances of my brother being called into serve are slim, and that is thanks to your work and sacrifice.  Thank you so much.

I had the honor of seeing the Vietnam War Memorial when I was in sixth grade.  I am so glad you are finally being able to witness the gratitude this country has for your service.  I wish you had received that from your friends and family coming home from the war, however, I am so honored to have the opportunity to welcome you home today.,

There are people today who don’t understand how crucial your role was.  I want to make sure you know, the children of my generation understand.  We respect that you served our country, even if you didn’t want to go.  We admire that you followed orders even when you didn’t want to.  And we thank you for everything you gave up and put on hold in order to fight in this war.

The way you were treated was cruel and hateful.  In that time, most veterans were forced to hide who they were, and wanted nothing more than to forget the horrendous homecoming they received.  I sincerely hope that the welcome home you recieve on your way home from the memorial is an experience you won’t want to forget. Welcome home, veteran.

Thank you for your service,

A High School Senior