Thank You, Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You, Veteran

By EJ0139 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
EJ0139 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

I am writing to welcome you home and thank you for the sacrifices you made. I know you did not receive proper gratitude after the war, and I wanted to let you know you are greatly appreciated and respected.
I am a junior in high school. You were probably around my age when you were drafted, and that alone shows unthinkable courage. As a teenager, I cannot imagine the adjustment of being thrown into a hostile environment. It would be incredibly difficult for me to postpone college, leave my family, and travel overseas. In addition, on top of all your sacrifices, you were treated poorly upon your return. It is unfathomable to me that you could endure so much at a young age and not receive proper gratitude.

A couple years ago, I visited the war memorials in Washington D.C. It was an unforgettable experience for me, and hope it was the same for you. When I see the memorials, I see an American legacy of courage and selflessness. Countless individuals have sacrificed for this country, and you are among them. No matter the circumstances of the war, I thank you for giving up part of your life and fulfilling your duty. 

Although you were not given proper recognition initially, I fully believe you should be recognized as a hero. It is people like you who have preserved the ideals this country was founded upon. Our country represents sacrifice and bravery, and you have embodied those values completely and perfectly. So, once again, I would like to welcome you home. I cannot thank you enough for you service and dedication to this country.