Thank You, Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You, Veteran

By Cam79 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Cam79 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

I am writing to you to express my, and the country’s, gratitude for the sacrifice and service you provided. My name is Cameron and a high school junior. I am not from a military family or legacy but there are scattered members that have served. One of my goals in life is to become a licensed military psychologist with a doctorate to truly help those who have served with the hell they went through. Everyone deserves to be listened to and counseled and helped.

I want to start off with a welcome home  because maybe you have never got the right homecoming, and all veterans deserve to feel welcomed, especially for making one of the biggest commitments to the country. Now when I say thank you for your sacrifice and service, what I mean is not the basic sentence people would say to you while passing you on the street. I am reaching out and expressing my eternal and deep gratitude for all that you have done and sacrificed. Be it through volunteering or the draft, you did what was necessary to accomplish what needed to be done. You are a hero because you were put into dire situations with limited options along with your fellow soldiers. You and your brothers fought and bled together. If not for those who are brave enough to do what you did, there would be nothing. There are still many of us that appreciate what you did and fight for better treatment and care of veterans, we remember the sacrifices and hardships you had to endure simply because you were asked to. There are few things that deserve as much recognition as veterans, and that is something that needs to be addressed and expressed more often. There is no higher honor than to make such a commitment and sacrifice to one’s own country.

Sincerely,
         Cameron P.