Why I'm Thankful for American Veterans | Teen Ink

Why I'm Thankful for American Veterans

March 9, 2018
By ellieartone GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
ellieartone GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Wisconsin Veteran,


After watching the Honor Flight movie, in which veterans were taken to war memorials in Washington DC, I felt compelled to write my own letter of gratitude to you in appreciation of your time spent in the military.

Being 17 years old, there is talk right now about my future: what my future career is, where I want to go to college, if I want to even go to college. At this age, one should be worrying about making “grown up decisions,” not about going to another country to engage in war.  Because of this, I want to thank you for the sacrifices and time you spent in the military for the country. To me, a hero is someone who is willing to put their own safety on the line if it means helping others, and there is no greater hero than a veteran.

I had the opportunity to visit the war memorials in Washington DC in eighth grade, and reminiscing on it now, war conditions still seem surreal. Growing up in such a secure, stable environment, it’s hard for me to try to put myself in the shoes of those fighting in the military. Looking at the monuments, there are both men and women in the harshest conditions, and it further visualizes the amount of brutal labor that these soldiers had to, and still continue, to endure, just to keep people like me safe. It was your efforts and your bravery that allows me to live in such a beautiful country, and I am forever indebted to you.

All around me, I hear about veterans: make sure to honor them, they went through pain, both during the war and afterwards, celebrate the holidays that honor the soldiers. I am so grateful to live in a country that continues to honor those willing to put their lives down, every day of the year. You deserve the world for the sacrifices you have given up, and everyday, you are seen as a true hero.

After a day full of visiting monuments, I hope you know how much you truly mean to this country, and more importantly, young adults like me. There are no words that could amount to the recognition and honor you truly deserve, but please never forget that everyday, people across the country and world have you to thank for the opportunities we have. So for that, I say welcome home.

Sincerely, Ellie


The author's comments:

I am inspired by veterans everyday, and they deserve to be appreciated.