Dear Honor Flight Vietnam Veteran | Teen Ink

Dear Honor Flight Vietnam Veteran

December 22, 2017
By Metalhead1 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Metalhead1 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Honor Flight Vietnam Veteran,

I just wanted to start out with saying thank you for serving and for your  sacrifice. I know you haven’t been given such a great welcome home, so I wanted to say personally welcome home.

My name is Jordan and I was shown the Honor Flight video in my creative writing class and it inspired me deeply to write to you, a veteran.

I am planning to go into the construction field with music on the side. I am a seventeen year old boy that is able to have a future without a worry of being drafted into the military since you’ve already done it for me.

It is an honor that you have busted your rear end for the future generations of the United States. I myself have family members that have served in Vietnam and from what I have been told, they were not given such a great welcome home.

It makes me sad the ones who truly served this country without a choice are the ones who were disrespected. I realize at the time there were many protesters who didn’t know who to take their anti-war beliefs out on, but it sure as hell did not belong being blamed on the ones who fought for our rights.

I would just like to say welcome home, thank you for your service and sacrifice, and would love to apologize for the people who may have disrespected you.

I have been to all of the war memorials that stand in Washington D.C. each and everyone of those memorials have different stories behind it, but they all have a few things in common. They all have names of men and women who sacrificed their everything, their dreams, their mental state of mind, and their physical state.

They say there is a time to be thankful for the veterans which sadly from the majority it is only twice a year. I am always thankful for the veterans. I thank you for your service and sacrifice.


The author's comments:

This piece of writing was for the honor flight veterans.