Mail Call | Teen Ink

Mail Call

By 9huhniuk SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
9huhniuk SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

People often think that when you go to war there's a easy distinction between each side. One side is blue the other is red. In reality, it’s far from that simple. During and after Vietnam, anyone could a the enemy, and this leads to some tough decisions that can change your life.

My name is Andrei H. I’m 17 years old, and a junior in high school. When I graduate high school, I plan to become a biochemist or something in the medical field. Recently, I watched the Honor Flight movie and it inspired me to write a letter to you. The first thing that I would like to say is thank you and welcome home.

People like you had to go through terrible experiences, so that I wouldn’t. For that, I am thankful. You inspire others with the bravery, as well as mental and physical toughness. Not only that but you also had to go to an unknown place away from home to fight people on their home turf. This must have been a frightening; the more I think about it, the more I get to see how bad and unpredictable it was. This is why you deserve the title of hero.  

Chances are you were drafted at the age of 18. I’m 17 and this would mean next year I would have to go and fight in a unknown area where anyone can be the enemy. Personally I feel as though I wouldn’t know what to do. I have to go, and I wouldn’t know how to feel about it. For what you did I thank you and your service.    

Lastly I understand that when you came back home people were doing nasty thing to you. They couldn’t blame anyone, so they took it out on you. I’m very sorry that you had to go through  war only to come back to what seemed like a second one. Once again, I want to say thank you and welcome back.

Sincerely, Andrei H.