To a Veteran | Teen Ink

To a Veteran

By CW12A SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
CW12A SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear Wisconsin Veteran,

My name is DJ D., currently a senior in high school. My grandfather is a Korean War veteran and went on to the honor flight as well. His experience on the flight is something he will never forget. The honor flight is an amazing program that has touched the lives of so many including yours. I hope you’ve experienced a once in a lifetime opportunity because you deserve it.

Simply thanking you for your service does not define how respectful and grateful I am to have you reading this right now. It is an honor for me to be able to write to you. You don’t know me and might not ever know me, but the safety and security that you’ve provided for me is indescribable. Because of you I can safely close my eyes at night and know that when I wake up I have the freedom to choose what I want to do in that day.

So thank you, for all you have done, for me, my family, and for this country. Your bravery, courage, and sacrifice are the reasons we are able to live in this great nation. It’s people like you that make the world a better place. I can confidently say that I am proud of you and your peers, serving in the military is not something that everybody can do. You are part of a very select group of people and that in itself is amazing. So thank you, not just for your service, but for everything you have done for me, my family, and this country.

Sincerely,

DJ D.