Why I Am Thankful for America's Veterans | Teen Ink

Why I Am Thankful for America's Veterans

By Awardwinner GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Awardwinner GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Simply, thank you for your service. Too often, people take their freedom for granted and never appreciate the sacrifices that our veterans have made. The courage, bravery, and determination you put forth means the world to me. You and other servicemen and women have not only inspired me to possibly join the service, but you have also inspired me to be grateful for what I have. Without you, life would not be the same, and I am forever grateful.

I’ve grown up in a family with a military background. My grandfather joined the Army as a mechanic, my uncle joined the Air Force, and my father joined the Army. The main reason many people, including my father, joined the military was for college funding. They got an education, served for a few years, and then joined the reserves. Whether you were drafted or willingly enlisted, the meaning is still the same. Joining the military means more than just going for an education. It means you can fight alongside your brothers and sisters for the same reason soldiers fought generations before you. For that, I am forever grateful.

You are in a position where it is time to give you the treatment you deserve. Being on the Honor Flight is just what the name entails: an honor. You get to see the memorials dedicated to you and your fellow comrades. When I went to Washington DC with my family, I had no idea how emotional those memorials would make me. The Arlington Cemetery, the War Memorial, and Iwo Jima all were highlights of the trip—but this visit also made me think about the sacrifices each and every veteran made for the country I proudly stand in. You personally have made an impact in my life, and I am forever grateful.

Thank you for your service, veteran. You might not hear those words enough, but you are in my heart. I hope one day I can follow in your footsteps and sit on the same flight to see the memorials in the safety of our freedom. I appreciate what you have done for the future citizens of the United States. I am forever grateful.

A letter to a veteran going on Honor Flight to Washington DC.