Dear Veterans | Teen Ink

Dear Veterans

By Sourkraut GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Sourkraut GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

"Only those who care, can hear you even when you are silent"

Dear Wisconsin Veteran,

Everyday as a class, at 7:30 am, we stand with our hands on our hearts saying the Pledge of Allegiance. During this 30 seconds of the pledge, I often notice my peers staring at the flag, or exchanging their weight from one foot to the next. It has come to my realization that many of my classmates don’t concentrate their focus on what this pledge means to us as a country. In my eyes, every day that we stand for the pledge, we are placing our vow to our country, and making a promise to America. It is in these words I think of you. I promise to America five days of the week for school. But you have given your life to us, your time and future was donated to America. For that I am thankful.

I am a senior in high school. I am writing to you today to show my gratitude for your bravery, strength, and valor. In class, we watched the Honor Flight movie, and in watching the film, I realized how much we take for granted as a country. Every morning, I wake up knowing I am in a safe place. I rest my head down the night before knowing I will be unharmed in the morning. I Know that when I go to school, my way of transport won’t be disrupted and I can comfortably sit in a room all day without fear wandering through my head. I can confidently say that in the future I will be able to raise a family and not have to worry about their well being in the future. This is because brave soldiers like you fought for my well-being and others that you don’t know. For that I am thankful.

I wanted to personally thank you for sacrificing your safety and comfort, for mine. I am thankful for the sacrifices that you gave up for our country, a priceless gift that could never be repaid. You gave away your time and put in effort to protect and serve for millions that you have never met. I am so thankful for everything that you have done, and can’t even find the words to fathom to express my gratitude. Thank you for your service.

Sincerely,
A thankful citizen