Why I'm Thankful for America's Veterans | Teen Ink

Why I'm Thankful for America's Veterans

Dear Wisconsin Veteran,

I hope your trip to DC was everything you imagined it to be because you deserve it! After all, you have done so much for our country and we will never be able to repay you. The amount of sacrifices you have made for our country makes you a true hero.

My name is Lauren and currently I am a senior. At this time in my life, I am getting ready to take the next step and go to college. I am grateful for veterans because I get to live my dream. Growing up, I heard stories of family members or close family friends being drafter or deployed. This made me realize how thankful I am to all veterans when they’re being drafted or deployed because almost always they’re sacrificing a dream.

A very close family friend was on the University of Miami football team, which was a dream, when he was deployed to the Vietnam War. I appreciate that he sacrificed his dream to protect his country. Because of his sacrifices to protect his country he is a true hero, and that is what you are. 

Thank you for your service and for your dedication to our country. With your sacrifices and bravery, I don’t have to live in constant fear of my freedom being taken away like other countries. You gave me the freedom that many others in this world do not have and I will never be able to repay you for giving that to me or will I ever take it for granted.

Thank you for your courage and bravery along with protecting our country, welcome home, Veteran! I look forward to hearing from you!