Dear Wisconsin Veteran | Teen Ink

Dear Wisconsin Veteran

December 22, 2017
By Derrk SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Derrk SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Wisconsin Veteran,

I am writing to you because I watched the Honor Flight movie and it inspired me. Without heros like you, we wouldn’t have the freedom we do today. You are what keeps this country going. Other soldiers look up to you because of the things that you have done for this country and are inspired.

Welcome home to the land of the free and to the home of the brave. You have made a big impact on so many lives during your time as a soldier and I appreciate all of it. Through your sacrifices and bravery, I thank you.

I am 18 and my future plans to go to college for health related things. My father was a part of the Navy when he was a teen. He was on the carriers, making sure each plane was good to go. This is my first time writing to a vet, but my thanks and appreciation was always there.  

I am lucky enough to be able to do what I want and have freedom—and this is because of your willingness to fight for our country. The opportunities I gain each day are because of your sacrifices. My thanks will never stop and will keep growing.

I am lucky to have veterans like you who have been in wars before I was even born saving lives of fellow soldiers, keeping our country safe and changing our country for the better. I will remember all the things you have done and will remind other generations to come about your service for us and our country.

  Thank you,
   Derek L.


The author's comments:

Writing my thanks to a wisconsin veteran.