Dear Veteran | Teen Ink

Dear Veteran

December 22, 2017
By irbarth GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
irbarth GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Veteran,

The life of the American citizen is, honestly, a life of comfort. Americans live with a great sense of security, free from extensive cares or fears. However, several of us also forget to acknowledge the individuals who sacrificed these things and left behind what so many of us take for granted. For whatever reason you may have chosen to serve, your sacrifices are a demonstration of pure strength, dedication, and bravery. And, since I have never had much of an opportunity to speak to a veteran like yourself, I would like to take these few moments to truly thank you for everything you have done.

As a high school junior, I cannot begin to imagine the sacrifices you made. I also cannot understand everything you have been through. But this only makes me appreciate everything you have done more. I know you have accumulated great physical, mental, and emotional strength throughout your life, and I would like to say I appreciate everything you have done, for I doubt I will ever be able to do the same.

I have never been terribly good with words, so I will say this simply: on behalf of my veteran grandfather, my friends with siblings in the military, and myself, I would like to welcome you back home. I would like to thank you for all of your sacrifices, and applaud you for your bravery. I do not need to know you personally to know you have earned endless respect, and that you deserve all of the gratitude America has to offer.

Thank you,
Isabel


The author's comments:

This letter was originally written for the Wisconsin Veteran's Honor Flight.