Thank You, a Letter to a Vietnam Veteran

Dear Veteran,

I may not personally know you nor can I pretend to know the things you’ve been through—yet, I am well aware of how unappreciated veterans such as you were. I, however, would like you to know that I appreciate your service, what you’ve done and the sacrifices you have made. Your choices have made you brave in my eyes.

My name is Logan and I am currently a junior in high school. Although I am not necessarily interested in joining the military, I do have multiple family members enlisted as well as a grandfather who was also a Vietnam vet and has sadly since passed away.

Due to the opinions of America at the time of the war, veterans like you were unwelcomed and disrespected compared to that of veterans from other wars. When you, like every other veteran chose to risk your life by enlisting. The bravery you showed through this is more than many other Americans can say for themselves.
Whether the outcome was good or bad and whether you regret it or not, I appreciate your service. Not just because it's respectful to thank a veteran, but because you and other vets were unwelcomed even while the death of your friends were forced upon your shoulders. I will gladly welcome anyone who served for this country. God bless you as well as those whose stories you lived on to remember. People who never gave up no matter how many people argued against your cause. Your sacrifices as well as those lost will be remembered. Even though I cannot comprehend the things you’ve been through I thank you for your service. No matter how you feel about the things you did I personally believe you are brave. And for that I welcome you and every other veteran a proper welcome home.