Thank you, Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank you, Veteran

By Ravenclaw99 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Ravenclaw99 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear Veteran,

I want to thank you for your service. On paper, it is hard to express how grateful I really am.  With all the blood and sacrifice shed for our country, you and your service are truly amazing.

Recently, in my creative writing class, we watched the Honor Flight movie. When I saw the veterans seeing their memorials and opening the letters it brought tears to my eyes. The memorials will forever be a thank you for your service, sacrifice, and siege.

I am a senior in high school. I plan to graduate, and next year, become a freshman in college. I hope to major in the sciences. I know my grandfather in the 1940s and neighbor 1950s never had the chance to finish high school, and enlisted into the war at an early age. I want to thank you for your service. Because of you, I am able to finish my school year, and proceed on to more schooling.

My grandfather served in World War II, and fought in the 69th division. I heard many snippets of stories, but never the full ones. I was too young to understand what was really going on and it was hard for me to understand. He was supposed to go on the Honor Flight in 2012 but had fallen sick and shortly passed away later. I never got to thank him for what he did for our country. As I have been growing in age and mind, I understand and learn about what you and your fellow servicemen and women went through. The war was a terrible time, and I cannot even imagine the fear and thoughts going through the minds at a young age. I want to personally thank you. I am older now and understand the hardships you faced. I am forever thankful for your service, sacrifice, and siege.