The Hero in a Star | Teen Ink

The Hero in a Star

By mwortmann2 BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana
mwortmann2 BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana

Selena Gomez is an example of a modern-day hero through her life experiences and struggles.  Selena Gomez was born and raised in Grand Prairie, Texas, a small town outside of Dallas.  Her parents divorced when she was five years old, causing her to live solely with her mother.  Gomez started her career from a young age on the TV show Barney and Friends.  Throughout her career, she has done many things, including acting, singing, and producing.  In her career, she has had many challenges which helped her become who she is today.  Selena Gomez exemplifies the traits of an epic hero through her courage, strength, and quest for fame.

Selena Gomez exemplifies the trait of courage through her willingness to speak up for what she believes in and overcoming her parents’ divorce.  Speaking up can be a hard thing to do, and Gomez has been able to do it throughout her career.  She has played a role in many organizations, all of which she believes are for a good cause.  One example of Gomez’s working for a good cause, is her becoming the youngest UNICEF ambassador at the age of sixteen.  She is still an ambassador for UNICEF and has used her fame to help the organization spread awareness.  Another example of Gomez’s speaking out is her continual participation in We Day, which is an annual youth empowerment event.  Gomez has continued to give speeches at the event to inspire children to make a difference in the world. Gomez was also able to overcome her parents’ divorce.  Even though her parents divorced when she was young, it still had a large impact on her life.  She never let the divorce take over her life, and her mom did everything she could to help Gomez develop her career.  Gomez did not allow herself to be held back by this setback and continued to pursue her dreams.  Through her willingness to speak up and overcoming her parents’ divorce, Gomez exemplifies the trait of courage.

Selena Gomez demonstrates the trait of strength through her battle with Lupus, and her struggle with a public breakup.  Gomez has been battling the autoimmune disease Lupus for a couple of years, and it has affected the way she lives her life.  She has had to give up lots of time to treatments and rest.  Gomez has had to cancel numerous legs of her world tours to take a break for recovery from the symptoms of Lupus.  Even though she has had to sacrifice so much for this disease, she has been able to come back from her struggles.  Through this disease, Gomez has been able to help others and raise awareness for Lupus.  Another way Gomez shows strength is through her public breakup.  Gomez went through a long relationship which ended very much in the public eye.  The media continually surrounds her with constant reminders of this relationship, but she has been able to look past these constant reminders.  She has remained strong and did not let the relationship tear her down.  With so much attention on such a personal event in her life, Gomez has kept her ground and remained strong.  Through her battle with Lupus and her public breakup, Gomez demonstrates the trait of strength.

Finally, Selena Gomez demonstrates the trait of a quest for fame through her beginnings on Barney to now being the most followed person on Instagram.  Gomez began her career as a child actress on the children’s television show Barney and Friends.  While she was trying to make her career happen, Gomez had many people tell her she was not strong enough to be an actress.  After her time on Barney, Gomez began working with Disney Channel, where she held her own show Wizards of Waverly Place.  Her show won her two Emmys and brought her into the spotlight.  While working with Disney, she began her singing career with her band, The Scene.  After her time on Disney Channel, Gomez began starring in more movies and focusing on her music career.  Eventually, Gomez took a break from music to focus on her acting career where she starred in numerous movies such as The Getaway and Hotel Transylvania.  After working on her acting career, she released her first solo album, starting her music career as a solo artist.  Gomez continues to balance her acting career with her singing career, while also taking up other projects such as producing.  Through this fame, she has reached millions of people and even became the most followed person on Instagram.  Through her quest for fame, Gomez shows another trait of an epic hero.

Courage, strength, and a quest for fame are all traits of an epic hero that Selena Gomez exemplifies.  Gomez demonstrates her courage through her outspokenness and her overcoming of her parents’ divorce.  Gomez does not allow anything to hold her back and speaks up when she thinks it is necessary.  She shows her strength through her battle with Lupus and staying strong through her highly publicized breakup.  Finally, Gomez shows her quest for fame throughout her career in acting and singing along with other endeavors.  All of these traits contribute to Selena Gomez being a modern day hero.