My 0 negative buddy! | Teen Ink

My 0 negative buddy!

By JC.1010 BRONZE, Coconut Creek , Florida
JC.1010 BRONZE, Coconut Creek , Florida

Each person has one person in their life that in the end, is their hero. For me, that is my grandma. She maybe 75 years old but she is one of my best friends. She raised 3 kids and loves each and every one of her 6 grandkids. She has always supported me and everyone in my family. If I ever need someone to talk to I know I can trust her and she'll always be there to listen. I know that if I ever need help she'll always be there for me. She is a huge part of my world and always will be. Even last October when she fractured 2 vertebrae in her back, when I need help she was there for me and donated blood for me. I always love the time that the two of us spend together which is pretty often. Fortunately, my grandparents live in the same neighborhood and about 10 houses down from our house, so I can see them whenever I want. I love every minute of it.
A grandmothers love has no end. Last October, my grandma fractured 2 vertebrae’s  in her back while getting ready for hurricane Matthew. We knew that even after having Kypho surgery, she would still be in a lot of pain and have a long recovery ahead of her. Right around the same time in October I found out that I would be needing to have spinal fusion surgery in December, to correct my case of scoliosis. This would a major surgery and would have many risk to it. The hospital suggested that someone donated blood for me to eliminate the risk of blood lose. After looking to find the right match, the only person that would be able to donate blood to me was my grandma. For me I'm O negative which means that the only person who can donate blood for me would be another O negative. Even though my grandma was in so much pain with her back but she was willing to do anything for me. I winded up not needing the blood after my surgery, but i know that if she had to do it again she gladly would do it again.
I admire her for what she did for me and even though it wasn't easy for her. I don't know what I would do without her. My grandma is a huge part of my world and I love every moment that we spend together. I love the little get togethers that we have, I love learning from her how to cook Italian food, I love the times I would sleep over and we would make pancakes, and I love all of our little talks. I know that I could always count on her and rely on her. I love her so much and she will always be my hero.