Only in America | Teen Ink

Only in America

By tennisgirl4 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
tennisgirl4 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Only in America does “I am an American” stand for freedom. This is the freedom that Lieutenant Nainoa K. Hoe risked his life for. He enlisted in the military and never saw his father again. His father, with joy on his frail face, met the trauma nurse who cared for his son in his last moments. Patriotism is the fight for our freedom.

Only in America does “I am an American” represent strength within our country. Lance Corporal Travis Williams had strength. He said, “Catch ya guys on the flip side” the last time he saw his squad. He is the man who showed strength and visited the families’ of the fallen soldiers. He found the will to live in remembrance of the fallen who did not have the chance. Patriotism is the fight for our strength.

Only in America does “I am an American” show faith flowing through our blood. This is the faith that Glenn Hubbard, my grandfather, had when he enlisted for the Army. He protected our country and risked everything. Although he never made it to the battlefield, he had the will to go. It is his faith that our country stored in him and the faith he stored in me. Patriotism is the fight for our faith.

Only in America does “I am an American” show love for families. This is the love that John Vigiano Sr. showed his sons. A firefighter, John Vigiano Jr., and police detective, Joe Vigiano, died as first responders of the 9/11 attack. The young hopeful lives, were taken away as they protected our country. The final words a father heard from his sons was I love you. Patriotism is the fight of our love.

Only in America does “I am an American” show the patriotism that our soldiers have for our nation. Patriotism is the freedom, strength, faith, and love that our country is built on; the representation of the fallen, who fight to keep the things we cherish. Only in America can I say, I am proud to be an American.