Patriotism Exemplified in America | Teen Ink

Patriotism Exemplified in America

By onelove19 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
onelove19 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

On Veteran’s day of 2014, I sat in my middle school's assembly. In attendance stood brave soldiers who were part of history, two of who were current teachers. As the band performed the National Anthem, they stood with confidence. During that time, I felt proud that there are people who enlist in the military to protect our country. I remembered the freedom we were given, their bravery, and my pride for America.

Freedom. It’s September of 1957, and the Little Rock Nine will integrate Central High School. As the nine nervous students entered the school, they were bombarded with hatred and discrimination. Because of the event’s imprint, African Americans are as able to have the right to be in the same place as others. Having the right to be equal without discrimination is an example of patriotism.

Bravery. A young, kind-hearted man is in Texas, putting his life at risk, saving those impacted by the devastation of Hurricane Harvey. He saves animals who were left behind and helps families evacuate to a safer place. His acts of kindness will leave a positive mark on the victims for the rest of their lives. Helping those in need is an example of patriotism.

Pride. When the first hour bell rings, everyone stands and says The Pledge Of Allegiance. As I say it, I see faces of the men and women who sacrificed their lives to fight for our country. I remember how proud I am to live in a free and safe country. Respecting and honoring the soldiers is an example of patriotism.

To this day, the Veteran’s Day assembly in my middle school still continues on. Students respect the military by standing up to the tune of our National Anthem, and standing up for The Pledge Of Allegiance everyday. The legacy of those heroic souls—who gave up everything to fight for our country—will live on for years to come. Patriotism is being proud to have the equal right to live freely, and appreciating and honoring those who risk their lives to help those in our country.