My Hero | Teen Ink

My Hero

By allyalcazar BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana
allyalcazar BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana

A hero is a person who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities. Loyalty, bravery, wisdom, generosity, strength, and confidence are the main traits of being a hero. Pauline, also known as Mawmaw, is a woman who gives her time helping people, especially me. Loyalty, Wisdom, and Generosity are the traits that make Mawmaw my modern day hero.

Loyalty is a feeling of strong support for someone or something. Mawmaw is loyal to me because she will always stick up for me. No matter who the person is or what the situation is, Mawmaw will always be on my side to stand in my corner and fight for me. For example, when my mom and I get into fights, Mawmaw will say, “Ally is right,” or, “Don’t be to hard on her.” There has never been a time when Mawmaw has not stood by my side to help me. Another reason she is loyal is because she will always be by my side through tough times. Whenever I am stressed with school and work, Mawmaw will ask me if I need anything or if I need any help. It is the little favors that she offers to me that make me know just how loyal she is to me. Her loyalty shines through by her always being by my side and helping me.

Wisdom is the quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgement. My mawmaw has so much wisdom when it comes to life experiences or situations that I need guidance in. She is always encouraging me to make the right decisions that will benefit me or something else in the future. For example, I considered not getting confirmed this year, but my mawmaw used her wisdom to explain to me that I should be getting confirmed. The guidance I need and obtain from her is what makes her a hero. She will always lead me to being the best I can be, and that is a very good trait to have. By encouraging me to make smart decisions that will make me a happier person in the future, Mawmaw shows her wisdom.

Generosity is the quality of being kind and generous. Mawmaw is so generous to me even when I do not deserve it. I can give her attitude one minutes and the next, she will be asking me if she can help me. This undeserving trait of generosity is a huge hero trait because heroes are always trying to help someone. I cannot think of a better example of someone being generous than my mawmaw. A minor example of this is when I get home from work at 9 o’clock at night, and I am going up the stairs to my room. She will stop what she is doing to offer to carry my stuff upstairs for me. If this is not an act of generosity, I do not know what is. Generosity is wanting other people to be happier and safer than themselves and that is what mawmaw works hard to achieve. The trait of generosity is displayed by her each and every action.

Being a hero does not just mean physically saving lives. Being a hero is being able to emotionally and physically help someone when they need it. Most of the traits of a hero are internal and emotional rather than external and physical. My mawmaw’s loyalty to me is shown through by her always sticking up for me, and her always being on my side through thick and thin. Her wisdom is expressed through her always leading me into making the right decisions, and through her always leading me to being the best I can be. Her generosity is displayed by her doing everything she can to make me happy, and by her willingness to do anything she can that will benefit me. Mawmaw is a perfect example of a modern day hero today.