The Life and works of Dr. Seuss | Teen Ink

The Life and works of Dr. Seuss

May 10, 2017
By Anonymous

Have you ever wondered about the life of Dr. Seuss, and how he first started writing and his childhood? Dr. Seuss has written many books that have made a lasting impact on culture. Dr. Seuss has left a legacy in modern day literature that few can challenge. Dr. Seuss’ childhood, books, and his legacy are the three things we can look back on in Dr. Seuss life.


Dr. Seuss, just like all of us, had a childhood that make us the people we are today. Dr. Seuss grew up in Springfield Massachusetts with his sisters, Henrietta Geisel and Marine Geisel, and his parents, Theodor Robert Geisel and Henrietta Seuss Geisel (Biography, par. 2). The Geisel family's business was a brewery in 1920 when the prohibitioncame their brewery was forced to shut down (Pease 16). Dr. Seuss saw the effects of war from a young age when he was a child. When Dr. Seuss was only 10, World War 1 started. Dr. Seuss was of German descent and experienceddiscrimination first hand (Pease 14). As a child, Dr. Seuss was creative and liked to draw pictures of crazy animals. This habit of drawing crazy animals would leave a lasting impact on him through his career (Art, par. 2).


Dr. Seuss’ most notable accomplishments were his children's books but he didn’t always write children books. Dr. Seuss’ earliest experiences in writing were at Dartmouth University, writing the University s Humor magazine, Jack o Lantern. This is where he first found his love for writing. After college Dr. Seuss perused his new found love of drawing cartoons and found jobs as a cartoonist for numerous magazine (Biography, par. 4). Dr. Seuss’ first children's book To Think That I Saw it on Mulberry Street was rejected 27 times until he bumped into a friend who had recently become an editor who helped him get it published in 1937. And to Think that I Saw it on Mulberry Street received great reviews and started his career as a children’s book author (Biography, par. 5). Since then Dr. Seuss has made many children's book such as The Cat in The Hat, Green Eggs and Ham, Oh the Places You’ll See, The Lorax, One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and many more classic childhood books.


Dr. Seuss has a legacy as a Children's author and has helped inspire children to learn how to read. Almost everyone today can recall one book by Dr. Seuss that they read during their childhood, which just shows how much Dr. Seuss’s book influenced us as kids. Dr. Seuss left behind 43 finished books, many books not finished for other authors to finish, and several cartoon and television spin offs of his books (Seussville, sec. General Questions). He also left behind a 75 million dollar network when he passed away due to oral cancer on September 24, 1991 at the age of 87 (Biography, par. 11).

Throughout Dr. Seuss’ life many things pushed him into having such a big impact on modern culture life. Today it would be hard to imagine the world without him. From Dr. Seuss’ childhood you could see that from his love of drawing pictures of crazy animals, he was born to be a writer. Dr. Seuss is most known for his amazing books, but started with just comics in newspapers and magazines. Dr. Seuss legacy was one not easily challenged and changed our lives and culture forever. Dr. Seuss was truly one of the greatest children's authors of all time.