My Hero | Teen Ink

My Hero

Hero is a noun that can be defined as someone who is deeply admired and idealized for reasons of courage, outstanding achievements, and noble qualities. For little kids, a hero is a superhero like that of Superman, Spiderman, and Batman. For older people, a hero may be God or an old mentor. For me, a hero is my dad. My hero is my dad; a man who exemplifies the definition of a hero. He has never failed to be present in the times when I need him most. He supports me, loves me, and believes in me unconditionally. He is the type of person that I turn to when I am lost. When I feel like I cannot go on. When I feel like I cannot accomplish something. When I feel like there is no longer any hope left in the world.

Where do you go when you’re lonely? Where do you go when you’re blue? Where do you go when you’re lonely? I’ll follow you. When the stars go blue. Our song. Those are the very lyrics that define our relationship. He is the person who will follow the lonely one when the stars go blue. He will follow me. Everytime I listen to that song, our song, tears flood my eyes. I cannot even begin to fathom the idea of losing him: my dad, my person, my hero. I admire him for his perseverance, his optimism, and his courage in life. I admire him not only because he is my dad, but because he is a person whom anyone would be lucky to admire.

My hero does not do extraordinary things. But doing extraordinary facts does not mean that someone is ordinary. He is an extraordinary human being. He is not perfect and he is not flawless, but he is as extraordinary as someone gets. His extraordinariness is what I hope and pray to one day become.

As time is nearing for me to go off to college and live my life, I am heartbroken that I will not see my hero as often. But I know that my dad will be my hero near and far, and that I will be able to count on him always. Besides his perseverance, optimism, and courageous qualities, he also obtains the leadership quality. My hero has guided me throughout my whole life, and now more than ever. We have had discussions more times that I can count in regards to college, life, and God, and I cannot even begin to express how undeniably grateful I am for his guidance in my life. He is my hero because throughout so much of the unknown and uncertainty that is present in my life, I know that his support for me and his belief in me provides an optimistic perspective that has the potential to lead me to things that i have not even dreamt of.

My hero is someone who possesses the qualities that define who they are and how extraordinary they can be. Hercules once said, “a true hero isn't measured by the size of his strength, but by the strength of his heart.” And that is what perfectly encapsulates my one and only hero.