A Letter to a Veteran | Teen Ink

A Letter to a Veteran

April 7, 2017
By 8maimai SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
8maimai SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When people visit the war memorials in Washington, D.C., they are eager to take pictures. Visitors stand in front of their state’s pillar at the WWII memorial or pose with the soldiers at the Korean War memorial, but they don’t think about the sacrifices that were made to earn those memorials. I am writing to thank you for your service to our country and to thank you for the sacrifices you made to ensure the freedom of the following generations.

My name is Maiya and I am a junior at Arrowhead High School. I recently watched the Honor Flight movie and was inspired to reach out to you and thank you for all you have done. Your bravery in serving our country gives me the freedom I have today. Because of your service, I have the privilege to go to college and the freedom to make my own choices. I also have the opportunity to decide what I want my future to be. For that, I am thankful.

Last summer, I visited Washington, D.C. with my 4-H group from Wisconsin. I went with 30 other high school students from across the state. Throughout the week, we went to The White House, the Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall, and many other significant places. By far the most powerful place we visited was the Arlington Cemetery. It allowed me to reflect on the immense sacrifice soldiers and veterans made for our country.

I cannot imagine the amount of courage it took to fight day after day, battles that may have seemed endless. Your actions did not go unnoticed. You are a true hero. I hope you enjoyed your experience with the Honor Flight.