Letter to an American Veteran | Teen Ink

Letter to an American Veteran

March 6, 2017
By AmberMotionless GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
AmberMotionless GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
17 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Wisconsin Veteran,

I would like to thank you for your service to our country. I am thankful to live in our great country where we are free to make our own decisions. My name is Amber and I am a senior in high school. I watched the Honor Flight movie in my class, and it moved me to see veterans like you going to see their war memorials. I am proud to live in our country and I am proud of men like you who have fought to defend it.  I cannot say how much I appreciate your sacrifice you made for our country. Men like you deserve to visit their memorials and I hope they show our appreciation for what you did for our country. 

My grandpa was in the Korean War. He was a lieutenant, and fought at Outpost Harry. Sadly, he is too sick to make the trip to our nation’s capital, to see the Korean War memorial. My grandpa is a great man and one of my heros, and I cannot imagine having to endure what he had to. Seeing the sacrifices that were made by men like you makes me see there is no way to truly thank you or my grandpa. However, I would like to try to thank you by saying I am so thankful for veterans like you and him.

Thank you for having the bravery and the courage to fight for our freedom. You did something for our country I cannot imagine doing. I am only 18 and preparing to go to college, I cannot imagine having to defend our country instead. I will never be able to repay amazing men like you, but I can thank you for fighting for me and my freedom. I will never take my freedom for granted because I know men like you fought and worked so hard for us to have it.
 

Sincerely, 

 

Amber