What Is a Hero? | Teen Ink

What Is a Hero?

By bhoakes18 BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas
bhoakes18 BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas

When we think of a hero, most of us immediately jump to comic books or superhero movies, tales of extraordinary people with extraordinary abilities and personalities. In reality, heros are everywhere, and they don't have super human strength, x-ray vision, or telekinesis. Instead they possess special mental strength and amazing morals. They are concerned about the wellbeing of others and have the courage to do whatever it takes to do good for mankind. Heroes walk among us every day, in our neighborhoods, classrooms, and our homes. Anyone can be a hero, no matter how old or where they are from. A hero, in my eyes, is simply someone who we can look up to, someone who shows kindness and generosity above all else.

No hero was ever perfect, which is true for both fiction and reality. A hero's flaws are what make them so admirable, for their ability to overcome obstacles the world throws at them along with those in their own heart and mind. Another important quality in a hero is persistence and never giving up. They seem to be able to do anything because they keep on fighting, not just for themselves, but more so for others around them. This is the trait that makes heros so strong; their will to do anything in order to do the right thing, not letting anything get in their way.

My personal hero is my mom. I have yet to meet a more caring, understanding, generous, hardworking, selfless person. She is everything I aspire to be and more. No matter how hard it is on her, my mother is always watching out for others and does everything in her power to help them out. My mom definitely has the hardest time in life within my family, yet she is the absolute strongest. This quality, to me, is what truly defines a hero. Caring more about others and doing good for them even when it puts you down is not easy and it is what we look up to when we see our greatest heroes. Officers and soldiers who risk their entire lives for our safety and freedom. Parents who give everything to keep their children happy and protected. Doctors and nurses who save and better lives every single day. Volunteers who do good over and over again without receiving anything in return but the thanks of others. Teachers who work hard to help us and our children to learn and grow as human beings. Friends who lift us up when we are low and who trudge through the ups and downs of life right by our side. These are all examples of everyday true heros and we are incredibly lucky to have them in our lives.

To be seen as a hero is arguably the greatest legacy someone can leave. To show everyone that people can do good in this world of chaos and uncertainty, and that no matter how lost we become, we always have our heroes to count on.