Letter to US Veterans | Teen Ink

Letter to US Veterans

By Dkmlj123 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Dkmlj123 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear Veteran,

I want to thank you for your service and sacrifice. I am thankful for you and what you went through to protect our freedom. My name is Lauren Richards and I’m a junior at Arrowhead High School. Growing up, I was lucky enough to listen to my grandfather’s stories about his journey when he went to war. He was in the Navy. Hearing what goes on when the US sends people to war had a drastic effect on me and it made me realize how important freedom is and how appreciative I should be to have it.

To me, freedom is something I was raised to think about. My grandfather would say “freedom is earned and fought for, not something you get handed.” Growing up and hearing that statement allowed me to appreciate what veterans do at war. Because you went to war and fought for freedom, I can choose my own path in life and not have to worry about war. I am able to choose what I want to be and have the ability to go to college at eighteen. I have the chance of achieving my dream job in healthcare because you fought for freedom and gave me the ability to do so.

I am grateful for the work you put in to preserve our rights. Veterans have played a role in my life and I am forever grateful. I am thankful for the chance to give back and help the veterans who now need my help with basic needs. I am thankful for the stories I hear, the rights and freedom I have been given, and for the bravery, you all have while going into war.

Thank you for all that you have done. I am so grateful to live in the US and to have servicemen and women who will fight for our country. I am truly proud of this country and the people who stand and fight for it. I could never thank you enough for what you have given me.

Sincerely, 

Lauren Richards