Mail Call | Teen Ink

Mail Call

By bandgeek2400 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
bandgeek2400 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear Veteran:         February 24, 2017

I am a 17-year-old teenager and my dream job is to help children and adolescents through rough times. It is important to let our youth know that they have someone who will listen and care about them. And you gave me that freedom to be able to pursue that dream. Your service to America allows me to be able to go to the school of my choice and to take the classes I want and need.

My name is Samantha and  I have a great great grandfather who was in the service. He recently passed away. Knowing him was an honor. To me, he was a hero. And even if he never thought of himself as one, he truly was. When I was younger,  my father told me what sacrifices my great grandfather made and it made me feel absolutely proud that I knew him. My dad told me of the time my grandfather was shot up, head to toe, and was lucky to survive. My grandfather was the most peaceful and caring man you could ever know. I wish I still had a few more years with him. I personally think of all the other veterans, such as yourself, the same way as I do my grandfather.

To me, a hero is someone who has courage, noble qualities, and has outstanding achievements. That definition fits veterans completely. They put themselves in danger to protect this country. You went through so much and sacrifice your life to save others. I am proud to be a citizen of this country, and to have the priviledge to know people where and who are currently serving.

To me, freedom means the ability to love whomever I want, to go to the school of my dreams, to pursue the job/occupation I want, to not have to be fearful of the world we live in today, and to know I am protected from harm. Freedom is the reason I am here today. Your service to this country and to America’s freedoms, is the reason I am able to go to an amazing school and have so many future opportunities. So, I want to say thank you for your sacrifices and your service. I truly am grateful for everything that you have done for this country.

Sincerely,
Samantha Geissler