Thank You, Heroes | Teen Ink

Thank You, Heroes

Dear Wisconsin Veteran,

I’m writing to you, because in class we are talking about the importance of your strength and bravery as a veteran and I want to thank you for your service. We also watched the Honor Flight movie, and I have never been so moved or impacted by anything I’ve ever seen. It’s hard to believe that after high school, I will move on to college to get my degree in accounting, but when you were my age you were being drafted. I can’t begin to understand how scary it must have been, and it teaches me not to take my opportunities for granted.
It’s hard for my generation to understand what you as a veteran, have been through. However, I built a connection because my grandfather talked to me about when he was in the Air Force. He showed me pictures, pictures that only the bravest of heart can handle. Hearing him talk about what it was like makes me even more grateful for everything you’ve done. There is nothing more selfless than risking your life for a country full of people, when you haven’t even met the most of us.

You sacrificed being with family, you sacrificed your safety, and you sacrificed your life for our freedom. My future family and I will have you to thank for every opportunity we are given. We will thank you for the right of saying and doing what we want, we can thank you for the home we’ll live in, we can thank you for our safety, and we can thank you for everything we'll ever have.

You may not see how thankful everyone is, but if you look around at the opportunity you’ve created for the people of this country, you’ll understand how proud you’ve made us all. Children, high school students, moms and dads, and fellow veterans, are all grateful for your service to this country.

There aren’t enough words to describe how appreciative and thankful I am for you. Your bravery and strength has helped our country to become the land of the free by giving us more opportunity and safety, and I will be forever thankful for that.