Honoring Veterans

Dear Wisconsin Veteran,

My name is Saige Steiner and I currently attend Arrowhead High School as a senior. My English class just finished watching the Honor Flight movie, and it has inspired me to reach out to a veteran and personally thank them for our freedom. The movie touched my heart on a deep level because my grandfather and great grandfather were both drafted at a young age and served our country in the Korean and Vietnam wars. I also know that many other students in my class are able to say the same about their family members. Veterans are all over the world, and I hope a letter of recognition comes to all of them.

What you have done as a citizen of this country is truly remarkable and it should not go unnoticed. I have you to thank for our privilege of attending school, and to live our lives knowing that we are free. You fought through hard work, sweat, and tears; and the selfless act of doing so is what I want to be recognized. Every day citizens of the United States get to wake up in the morning and go about their lives, and all of that is possible because of you. We may not realize it, but every privilege we have is attested to you. Thank you for allowing me to have a roof to live under, a school to learn at, and a job to support myself. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for fighting for this country’s freedom.

The stories that my family members have told me about war made me realize that this act of fighting came with heartbreaks. I know that these memories will stay with you for forever, but I hope now that you are back home you get the praises that you deserve. After being a part of the honor flight, I hope that these letters are a great way to end the day.

Your unwavering courage and determination is what has put us above other countries. I am thankful to say that every day living in Wisconsin, I feel safe. This feeling is because of veterans like you, and once again I give all of my thanks. Without courageous men and women like you, our country would not be the same and I hope you realize that. Thank you for our freedom.
Sincerely,

Saige Steiner