Historical Figure | Teen Ink

Historical Figure

By yramG GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
yramG GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

I was a student at St. Joan of Arc for 6 years, each day we’d say the Our Father and then have religion class for an hour. We’d read a passage from the bible then learn about a new saint or go over commandments.

From all the saints I learned about there was always one that stuck out to me, her name was Joan of Arc.

Although, it’s ironic that I went to the school named after her, it wasn’t the reason I was intrigued with her. She believed that God had chosen her to lead France to victory. She had no military training, yet convinced prince Charles of Valois to allow her to lead a French army; where she was victorious. She later was captured by enemies, tried for witchcraft, and burned at the stake at the age of 19.

The reason I would want to meet Joan of Arc is because she stood up for what she believed in. Since I was little I’ve always seen her as a hero, she sacrificed herself for the good of others, just for a cause. She wasn’t afraid to be right, even if it meant being wrong to achieve her ends.