Mail Call | Teen Ink

Mail Call

By blackhawks98 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
blackhawks98 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin

Dear Veteran,

My name is Daniel and I am a senior in high school. I am a very athletic and competitive person. I am 18 years old and I am looking forward to beginning my college experience. Now that’s enough about me—let's talk more about why I am writing to you today.

I am reaching out to you today to acknowledge your service for this beautiful country. From what I can understand, multiple soldiers that were drafted into the service were very young. As an 18 year old, I cannot even begin to imagine getting drafted into the service at this early stage in my life. Nowadays there isn’t much of a draft; rather people having the freedom to enlist themselves into the service.

We would not be able to carry out our freedoms if it wasn’t for you and your fellow veterans. Too many people don’t understand what hardships and sacrifice you went through in order to give them their right of freedom they have today. In all honesty, I was not the most grateful person in the world either. But my perspective on veterans changed was when I visited Washington D.C. with my family. When I first glanced at the Arlington Cemetery, I thought I was looking at a cotton field. Once I realized what my eyes were actually seeing, my heart sank like an anchor. I could barely hold myself together. I am not usually a very emotional person, but this particular experience really hit me hard, and it totally flipped the way I look at veterans today. Now every time I see a man or women wearing a veteran hat or coat, I am sure to give them my heart filled appreciation. The living veterans like you will always bring a smile to my face. Every last one of you fought for your hearts out then, and you continue to live everyday life now. I tip my hat to you for that.

My biggest wish is to have a heart half the size of yours, for you are a true warrior, a fighter, and most importantly, a hero. I can’t thank you enough for the freedom you have given me in my 18 years of life, and I look forward to many freedom filled year to come. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday.  Thank you and God bless.

YESSENIAG SILVER, Sacromento Ca, California
what made you write this story ? i like it. its so great.

nathan_mobbin GOLD, Sacramento, California

"eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind"

WOW!!!!!! this is amazing..!!!!!