Desmond T. Doss | Teen Ink

Desmond T. Doss

December 2, 2016
By Peanutgirl99 GOLD, Middleville, Michigan
Peanutgirl99 GOLD, Middleville, Michigan
11 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
You fall, you rise, you make mistakes, you live and learn. You're human, not perfect. You've been hurt but, you're alive - to breathe to think, to enjoy, and chase the things you love. Sometimes, there is sadness in our journey but, there is also lots of joy. We must keep putting one foot in front of the other even when we hurt. For we will never know what is waiting for us around the bend


Desmond T. Doss.... the bravest conscientious objector anyone has ever seen. He went into the "hellfire of battle without a single weapon" to defend himself. It took him awhile to be able to get there, he even was threatened to be sent to jail for the rest of war if he didn't at least touch a gun. But Doss stuck to his beliefs and in the end it all worked out for him. Though all the other men in the unit believed that he was a coward for not touching a gun, he still stuck through it all. Doss got beaten up by all the other men but again still stayed exactly where he was. In my opinion him repeatedly taking crap from the other men should of showed how strong he is. But it didn't show at that moment. It took them till they were already on the  battlefield for them to see just how brave that man really was. They believed in him so much that they refused to go back up unless Doss was with them. During Hacksaw Doss saved 75 wounded men and even saved some of the Japanese. Out of all the stories that I have heard about soldiers and war... I do believe that this is my favorite one. Desmond T. Doss is my hero and my inspiration. He has inspired me to realize that no matter how other people treat you and no matter how many people don't believe in you... always go your dreams and NEVER let anyone tell you you can't.
                           

Desmond T. Doss
               

February 17, 1919 - March 23, 2006