Mail Call | Teen Ink

Mail Call

December 1, 2016
By Soccer20 GOLD, Oconomowoc , Wisconsin
Soccer20 GOLD, Oconomowoc , Wisconsin
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Veteran,


My name is Anna H. and I am a high school senior in Hartland, Wisconsin. My grandfather was a World War II veteran. When I was little, he used to tell me stories about his time in war, and always reminded me what being an American and having the freedom that we do means.


I am writing to you today to thank you for your bravery and service. Nothing will ever be able to truly show the appreciation and gratitude Americans have for you and veterans everywhere, but I hope that this Honor Flight can show you the pride that you have instilled in so many of what being an American means.


You have fought for what America is built on: life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. America is the Land of the Free, a place people dream of living in. It allows for freedom of speech, religion, and ideas—and this is all because of you. American citizens are afforded perseverance and opportunities—and this is because of you. Americans have liberty, the beacon of hope, and the dedication that drives many to their dreams and successes—and this is all because of you. Lastly, Americans have the right to live life in any way that makes them happy, the harmonizing note that ties America, the Melting Pot, together—and again, this is all because of you. All of this is possible because of the sacrifices you have made and the bravery you have put forth. Thank you so much for your service and dedication to this country.


The legacy and pride that have become instilled in Americans commemorating those who serve and protect our country will never be forgotten. You have done so much for our country, and I am so thankful for you and all veterans. Thank you so much for your service!


Sincerely,


Anna H.


The author's comments:

This is a letter to a veteran going on the Honor Flight.