Historical Figure | Teen Ink

Historical Figure

December 1, 2016
By Soccer20 GOLD, Oconomowoc , Wisconsin
Soccer20 GOLD, Oconomowoc , Wisconsin
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

As you walk through American schools, you hear the complaints: “I don’t want to be here” followed by, “I can’t wait to be done with school.” In America, boys and girls attend school and receive an education, which is sadly taken advantage of.


But in Pakistan, you won’t hear any complaints (despite three hundred students piled in a one room school). Education in Pakistan is fought for.


At just fifteen years old, Malala Yousafzai did that. She spoke out for the importance of education after the Taliban began attacking girls’ schools and denying them an education. The fight went further than most could imagine when Malala was shot in the head by the Taliban for speaking out. After miraculously surviving, she continued to advocate for education. She was the youngest person to receive a Nobel Peace Prize.  


Malala Yousafzai is an amazing young woman who would be an honor to meet. She has inspired so many and continues to do so. Learning the value of education and gaining knowledge of her drive and dedication to fight for what she believes would allow me to grow as a person and pass the lessons I learn along to people in my life.


The author's comments:

This article is about a historical figure I would like to meet and why.