A Purpose Greater Than Yourself | Teen Ink

A Purpose Greater Than Yourself

By ecords00 SILVER, Olathe, Kansas
ecords00 SILVER, Olathe, Kansas

According to Dr. Martin Luther King Junior, American Civil rights activist, “The time is always right to do what is right.” Everyone has the responsibility to make the world a better place. Dr. King took this responsibility to the next level by choosing positive attitudes, doing his duty, and setting a good example.

Having a positive attitude was important to Dr. King because it gave people hope and kept them from giving up. Dr. King said, “Only in the darkness can you see the stars,” and he means by this that his supporters need to focus on their successes rather than their failures. Being able to fail in order to be successful is important because it creates passion and productiveness. Dr. King supports this by saying, “We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose hope.” These inspiring words are motivating to his followers because if he never loses hope then they can believe in him. He knew this and used this to advantage by gaining trust and he took that responsibility he had with the people seriously. Today his word ring true by children of all different races going to school together and being friends. He gave his people a cause to believe in and encouraged them to make a difference with positive attitudes.

Dr. King did his duty to his community by standing up for what he believed and making a change; he once said, “Lightning makes no sound until it strikes,” nothing will happen unless you take action and you will then be truly heard. He knew there was a purpose greater than himself that he had to do something about and make a difference. He chose to help his community and stand up for what he knew was right, which is speaking up for his beliefs. The world was in a dark place and he was a glimmer of light that inspired people to stand up for what they believed. With this battle for civil rights, he supported nonviolence protesting and love instead of hate. This kept people peaceful and humble with their arguments and let people know that they were not looking for a fight but trying to make a point. To honor this legacy people today can be respectful of one another and not judge one another on the color of their skin. Dr. King knew his duty and embraced it and put forth his utmost effort to change it for the better of this community.

To be able to set a good example for people you must be a responsible human being who is a strong leader and honorable person. Dr. King set a good example for both his followers and opposers. His fight against racial prejudice was what he truly believed in and he had the courage to make a difference. Today many people follow in the footsteps of Dr. King and his beliefs about rights but also in having the courage to take action on a purpose greater than themselves. Muhammad Ali, Rosa Parks, Mother Teresa, Mahatma Gandhi and many more also left their marks on the world and are people we still look up to today. They all made a difference and inspired others to do the same by being peaceful, respectful, responsible, trustful, courageous people. Dr. King was all of these things and more; he was the perfect example of a historic leader who stood up for what he believed in and gave people hope.

“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter,” said Dr. King. It is the world’s responsibility to speak up for the things that matter like civil rights, women’s rights, world hunger or pollution. People must use what Dr. King taught us about speaking up and actually go into the world and make the issue known and create awareness. Dr. King did not have to be the one to stand up, but he chose to lead this fight for civil rights because it was a purpose greater than himself.