Jesse Owens | Teen Ink

Jesse Owens

“The battles that count aren’t the ones for gold medals. The struggles within yourself – the invisible, inevitable battles inside all of us – that’s where it’s at.” This quote from Jesse Owens truly sums up his character, not only in track and field, but in his life. Jesse Owens was born James Cleveland Owens on September 12th, 1913 in Oakville, Alabama. He was brought up in a poorer home and had to take jobs such as delivering goods and fixing shoes. However, despite the adversity Owens faced, he was able to make amazing achievements in his career as a runner and in his life.

Early on in his track-and-field career, it was clear Jesse Owens was destined for great things. When he was 9 years old, his family moved to Cleveland, Ohio, where Jesse attended East Technical High School. There he started his career and became nationally known. Owens broke records in the 100 and 200 yard dashes, as well as in long jump. He later acknowledged his high school coach Charles Riley who helped him train, even around his working schedule because he had to help provide for his family as well. After graduating from high school, Owens went on to attend Ohio State University where he continued his track and field record. There he set records in long jump as well as in sprinting and hurdle events. In 1935, Jesse even broke three world records in one meet.

These victories set Jesse on a path to the 1936 Olympics which were held in Berlin. However, this was a time of Nazi rule and Hitler gave the Germans medals before they even won. The Aryan supremacy preached by Hitler was disproved as an African American man such as Jesse earned gold medals in multiple events and broke two Olympic records. Owens performed very well in college meets too, and at the Big Ten Championships on May 25, he set three world records and tied a fourth in a matter of 45 minutes.

Upon Owens’ return home, he did not get the welcome he had expected. He was not invited to the White House or even congratulated by President Franklin D. Roosevelt, and had to come back to a segregated country. Owens remarked on this saying, “When I came back to my native country, after all the stories about Hitler, I couldn’t ride in the front of the bus. I had to go to the back door. I couldn’t live where I wanted. I wasn’t invited to shake hands with Hitler, but I wasn’t invited to the White House to shake hands with the president, either.” After his Olympic triumphs, Owens retired and earned money by racing against horses or cars, because those were the only jobs he could get. He later pursed a business career and traveled around the country speaking at various conventions and meetings.

The legacy of Jesse Owens still lives on today, and the adversity he faced was not able to stop him from achieving his goals. He was renowned for his sportsmanship and his achievements on a world stage. In 1966, he became involved in the Civil Rights Movement and there is even a memorial to him in Berlin for his outstanding Olympic achievements. He showed that even in the face of racism and racial segregation, amazing goals can be achieved. Jesse Owens truly was the fastest man on earth.