What Is a Hero? | Teen Ink

What Is a Hero?

By emmie.daswani BRONZE, North Hampton, New Hampshire
emmie.daswani BRONZE, North Hampton, New Hampshire

In this modern age, we often toss around the word hero, without any real meaning behind it. If you turn on the television there are thousands of stories claiming millions of people to be heroes, but what exactly does it mean? The google definition of a hero is a person, typically a man, who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities. That’s what a hero is supposed to be. However, I believe that the definitions are infinite. I believe that a hero is anyone who has ever made a lasting impact on someone else, and I believe that the meaning is much deeper than the definition. To me, the definition fits my grandmother.

What I find to be the most interesting quality of a hero is that often times one might not be conscious of the fact they are making an impact. My hero happens to be my grandmother; she’s my hero because her wisdom and stories have guided me through my life and have taught me to be an overall better human being. She is selfless, and would never let anyone pity her in any situation. A year ago she lost her husband with whom she’d been with since high school. When most people would close off, she stayed strong and did her best to remember the good times she had with him rather than sulking on the fact that he was gone. She welcomed in her family in a warm and loving embrace to reminisce on the life they shared. I feel as though her attitude on life and morals have deeply enriched me and left a long-standing impact. Her presence has changed my life and I believe to be a heroic quality.

So now I ask myself, what exactly classifies as heroic? What qualities and characteristics does one need to be considered a “hero”? To better comprehend, it may be easier to describe what a hero is not. A hero is not an athlete or a celebrity that the news and media describe them to be. A hero is not a supermodel or the cartoon character in your favorite show. They may, in fact, be a role model, but their image doesn’t make them a hero. The ones who possess the true qualities of a hero are the ones who are living all around us. A friend, a parent, a teacher, a grandmother, those who selflessly sacrifice themselves for the goodness of others. You don’t need to necessarily rescue a kitten out of a tree, or land a burning plane to be a hero, you just need to be selfless and kind. Even if that just means telling stories of your life to your grandkids.

Was assigned this question