My best friend and hero | Teen Ink

My best friend and hero

February 17, 2009
By alex tiesen SILVER, Dell Rapids, South Dakota
alex tiesen SILVER, Dell Rapids, South Dakota
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My hero is my grandfather. As a teenager my grandfather got into alcohol and he was an underage smoker. Because of his actions he got put into the army and he served in the Vietnam War for 3 years. He got two purple hearts. When he got out of the war he met my grandmother and they got married he quit drinking for her and he also became a sheriff in Rapid City. He was a sheriff in the Rapid City police forces for several years and had many experiences while he was in the force. A tragic end to his career happened as he was traveling on the interstate and a semi passed him with a full load of steel. As he passed he swerved in front of my grandfather and the bolts holding down the steel came apart and flooded my grandfathers car he slid of the road spun and rolled he was almost paralyzed. Since that accident he has had five major back surgeries two of them being over 10 hours long. He went through years of physical and emotional pain. He is now a pastor in a church in Dell Rapids and is living life with constant back pain.