My Hero | Teen Ink

My Hero

By Trish SILVER, Lubbock, Texas
Trish SILVER, Lubbock, Texas

It was Christmas Eve, and like every Christmas Eve, my entire family including my two uncles, my aunt, my grandma, my granddad, my great uncles and aunts, and my mom and dad would go to my Mammaw's house to open presents and eat our traditional turkey dinner. Little did I know, this Christmas would be the last I would get to spend with my Mammaw.
My Mammaw was always my favorite relative and I really looked up to her, but no one told me that I was going to lose her. I remember when she first was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, she could remember some things but she just wasn't the same. As time went by, her condition continued to get worse. She couldn't take care of herself anymore, she couldn't remember who anyone was, well she did, but she never could remember our names. But that didn't stop me from loving her.
I remember that Christmas like it was yesterday, (she never gave up on herself, and she loved having us over). It was dinner time, so we all went and sat at the beautiful decorated table, I sat between my Uncle Casey and my cousin Andy. My grandma brought out the most gorgeous turkey that I had ever seen! My granddad carved the turkey and we all dug in, I can still taste how juicy that turkey was. My favorite part of that delicious meal was my Mammaw's famous chocolate pie, I loved it! She never would give us the recipe, though. After we had all finished eating, we all went into the living room, found our favorite chairs, (mine was a dog-shaped bean bag chair). After everyone was seated, we sang all the Christmas carols that we could think of (which was and still is a family tradition). Next, was my absolute favorite part, opening presents! That Christmas, I received a new baby doll, a tricycle, a blanket with Care Bears on it, the brand new Care Bears movie, and the best present of all was from my Mammaw, it was one-hundred dollars! I honestly thought I was rich; I was jumping up and down like a crazed animal. I ran up and hugged her and said thank you. Then my dad said that it was time to go, so I gave my Mammaw one last hug and we left. That was the last time I ever saw her because less than a year later (two months before my birthday in November), she had a massive heart attack and passed away. I never got to say goodbye. As long as I live, I will never forget my Mammaw, she showed me how to always make the best of things no matter how bad things get or seem.

on Mar. 4 2009 at 9:23 pm
Aaron Visser BRONZE, Mattawan, Michigan
good job