My Hero | Teen Ink

My Hero

By catiekodada SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
catiekodada SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

She’s old, smart, very fun to text. Yeah I’m talking about my grandma. She’s always
smiling and laughing. My grandma always has some kind of way of making me smile when I’m in
a bad mood. She knows what makes me smile and what makes me mad. She just completely
understands me. But three characteristics about that I love is that she loves me, doesn’t care,
and she’s brave. 

First off she loves me. She tells me all the time how much she loves me. The best part is
that I’m her favorite grandchild. She even told me that I’m her favorite. For my confirmation card
she wrote, “to the perfect granddaughter”. She always wants to to spend the weekend with her.
I’m pretty happy that she loves me but she also doesn’t care what I do. 

Typically adults can be overprotective and not let kids do a lot. But see my grandma is a
pretty cool lady. She doesn’t care at all. I’m her favorite grandchild, so she doesn’t care if I have
a party at her house. I don’t even have my permit yet but she still lets me drive on the gravel
roads by her house, in her brand new car. She loves when I spend the night at her house. So
she never cares how long I stay. In the summer I could stay for a whole week if I really wanted
to. My grandma has even told me she wouldn’t care if I moved in with her. She’s very fun but
she’s also very brave. 

Earlier this year, on March 2, we lost my grandpa. He died unexpectedly. My grandpa has
always had heart problems. He had a heart attack when I was around 8. But he lived through
that. He had an aneurysm in his heart. And one day at the doctor’s office he felt heart pain and
fell over and died. The aneurysm burst and he bleed to death internally. He died in my mom’s
arms. That was super hard on my grandma because just that morning she didn’t know that that
was gonna be her last goodbye with her husband. It’s still very hard for my grandma but she has
many people who look after her and spend time with her. She just smiles and goes on with life.
But she does get very lonely and sad sometimes. Living alone is boring and not fun for her at all.
So that’s why she doesn’t really care I stay. 

My grandma is the best. She loves me, she doesn’t care about practically anything, and
she’s very brave. I love my grandma because she’s just a very fun person to be around. She’s
the only person in my family I tell everything to. Even though she has lost a lot and her life has
changed a lot in the past year. She still smiles and goes on in life.