The Resilience of a Mother | Teen Ink

The Resilience of a Mother

January 29, 2016
By Joseph641 BRONZE, Round Lake, Illinois
Joseph641 BRONZE, Round Lake, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The person in my life that has been the most resilient since the time I first met her would be my mother because she has been the one to do things that I never would do if I was an adult and I had a kid. My mom was born april 3, 1966 in evanston, IL. She was the first child for both parents. She grew up in suburbs for 4 years. Mo’s (Mo is what I call my mother) brother born on 4 birthday and she hated that they had the same birthday as a kid. During her childhood her father divorced her mother and married his secretary and had 2 daughters with her. She felt sad and her brother and her weren’t involved. When Mo was 9, Mo’s mother remarried to a man from canada named Chuck. They lived in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. She told her mom when her mom remarried that she was going to kill herself, but she didn’t.


One year she was 10 years old her family took a trip to Jasper, Alberta. in the canadian rockies. They didn’t go there to ski but they did expect to see beautiful places in the mountain. Instead the car broke down and they spent most of the time hanging out at hotel or touristy places they could walk too. we went to a restaurant, where people fed supposedly fed wild animals. Mo’s brother begged to go outside and feed a deer. Mo didn’t remember anything about the food. we did see actually wild mountain sheep after the car was fixed just in time to go home.
What Mo remember most about the trip is when we drove back Edmonton my brother and I were sitting in the backseat of the pito station wagon. When my dad had to hit the brakes hard at a stoplight. All the luggage in the back of the car pushed the seat down on to my brother and me. It freaked Mo out, but Mo wasn’t hurt. Don’t remember why they stopped. they had stopped at mcdonalds, and Mo had been eating a hamburger it must have flown out of the window, because when our parents got the seat back up and the luggage off of us the hamburger was nowhere to be found. Mo still wonders where it went.

 

As a young adult Mo like what usual teens liked that time period (I have no clue what kids her age liked back then). I story Mo told me was when she went to a concert with her friend and something weird happened. When Mo was about 17, Mo went to see cheap trick (is the name of the band she went to see). Mo had a friend who’s dad often got really good tickets from a friend in radio. The concert was at Alpine Valley, Wisconsin. Mo’s friend and Mo had second row tickets. Even though the opening band was horrible and not many people took their seats, Mo’s friend wanted to sit right away so no one would try to take our awesome seats. The opening band was a metal band and many diehard fans took advantage of the empty seats around us to get close. It was painfully loud and the metal fans were scary.


The band paused between songs and one of the musicians grabbed a towel wiped his face and Mo neck with it and threw it in Mo’s direction, Mo tried to get out of the way but the people around Mo, tackled each other and Mo trying to get towel. The towel landed across Mo’s chest and 2 guys each grabbed one end they played tug a war with the nasty sweaty towel from the row behind Mo. Mo was afraid they were going to pull me up and over the back of my seat into the row behind me. Somebody won the tug a war so they left Mo alone finally. At least Mo caught a guitar pick from the cheap trick guitarist.


Well as an adult  her family is happy and she loves her brother. A story that happened to her was when she first met my father. When Mo was 24, Mo moved to Bulder, Colorado to go to school. By the second term Mo was very good friends with a woman named Margie Root. At the end of the school year Margie told Mo that a friend was coming to visit over Memorial Day weekend. Her friend Wes was from Oklahoma like Margie,they had gone to the University of Oklahoma together, they studied photography together.


Wes would be passing through Bulder during a road trip she told Mo.Things didn’t go as planned for Wes when his van broke down and his quick stop in Bulder became a longer visit. After Wes was at Margie’s for a few days, Margie pulled Mo aside and asked Mo to spend some time with Wes because he was getting underfoot. Mo took Wes on a long walk around Bulder, they tried to find Mork and Mindy’s house. They couldn’t find it that day, but they talked a lot and Mo found him very interesting. The next day he borrowed Margie’s car and they drove to a town about 30 miles away where he had lived as a kid. On a beautiful evening, on the plains just east of the rockies, they sat in the swings at the playground of his grade school. They were silly and the rosy light revealing his child-like spirit. Mo fell in love with my father Wes.


My mother was a weird child and was a nerd as a teen but still cool. As an adult she became a smart wonderful woman married to my father who became foster parents and got my brother and I as foster kids. My brother had to move, but they adopted me and we became a family.


The author's comments:

Im 16 years old and its about my adopted mother.