Marine Sergeant, Police Officer Sean P. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

To me, heroes are those who put others first, even if it means risking their life. Heroes have courage, integrity, and bravery. They will stop at nothing. A hero is a person who is not afraid of adversity. My hero is my cousin Sean.

As a young boy growing up in New Hampshire, Sean looked up to his father, a Vietnam veteran. He dreamed of following in his footsteps and serving our country. And so when he reached 18, he enrolled in the Marine Corps. He packed his bags and headed for boot camp in North Carolina, where he learned military tactics and survival skills for battle. The demanding and wrenching physical fitness was difficult, but Sean stuck with it.

Then Sean was sent to Iraq and placed on the front line. The ­climate was dry, and dust emanated in the air with each footstep. Not once did Sean regret being in the service. After his tour was up, he returned to North Carolina, and a year later was deployed to serve another tour in Iraq. Each day he prayed and was happy to be alive. Sean survived two tours of duty and returned home to New Hampshire. Although his time in the Marines had ended, Sean was not finished serving.

Sean was accepted into the police academy, and became an ­officer for Hopkinton, New Hampshire. He took these responsibility seriously and knew the standards he needed to fulfill. Then tragedy struck. In the small New Hampshire town sirens sounded, and reporters arrived at the scene in seconds. One ­reporter said with heavy emotion, “On this night of August 15, 2008, Sean Powers was struck from behind by an alleged drunk driver, on his way home from work, and killed.”

When I heard this news, I crumbled to my knees and could not find words. My hero, the one who would pick me up when I fell, was gone. I felt all the emotions in a rush: anger, melancholy, and hope that he was now in a better place. Sean touched many lives, and continues to. Sean will always be remembered and loved. He put others before himself in every situation, and never gave up on anyone or anything. For that, he is my hero.

Lindsey31This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 1, 2012 at 11:32 am:
This gave me goosebumps. So sad.

JGrall1991 said...
Very well worded Giovanna. Very sad story, now its time to find my hero. 

ariedel said...
May 20, 2010 at 3:23 pm:
Wow - Tears are rolling of my face ... thank you for sharing - Your family and Sean have got to be really proud of you ! I would like to personally thanks Sean - even he never helped me personally - he has helped Gods brothers  and sisters and just his presece on this earth caused joy ... and dont ever forget it - Choosing a hero is a tuff topic Im glad you could - because you wrote a beatiful piece of work ... thanks you ... To the whole Powers Family !

Cassie B. said...
Mar. 23, 2009 at 4:03 pm:
goodjob

lbjdon said...
Mar. 7, 2009 at 1:50 am:
Great job Giovanna! We couldn't have said it better. We miss Sean and think about him everyday. He has touched so many lives. Thank you for telling his story. We are so proud of you ~ Lori

mamapowers said...
Mar. 3, 2009 at 12:18 pm:
Sean is our son. Thank you Giovanna for recognizing Sean as your Hero. This unimaginable void we all feel was at the hands of a convicted 22 year old under the influence of alcohol and also had marijuana in his system. This is his third DUI. Giovanna, please continue to be the positive teen you are and make good choices. Sean was an of example for so many, he did the right thing because it was the right thing to do. Marilyn Powers

usmclifer said...
Feb. 28, 2009 at 6:06 am:
Your love and admiration for your cousin really comes through in this very emotional and moving essay. Your fully deserving of an "Attagirl" for it.
Thank you, Sean, for your service.
SEMPER FIDELIS
William Bloomfield
GySgt, USMC, Retired

usmc81 said...
Feb. 27, 2009 at 8:33 pm:
How completely moving your wonderful piece is. Your cousin would be extremely proud of you. Well done! And to Sean, thank you for your service and sacrifice. NEVER FORGET!
Cpl. Beddoe, USMC (81-85)