An Open Letter to My Youth Pastor | Teen Ink

An Open Letter to My Youth Pastor

December 17, 2015
By Anonymous

Prior to coming to youth, I was quite honestly something of a mess. I was full of all sorts of negativity, full of frustration, full of anger and full of depression. Sure, I had some measure of faith, but it was shallow. I knew all the "answers"; going to Sunday School and "enduring" years and years of sermons will do that. But the answers never meant as much through them as they did after attending the youth group.

 

I had few friends in high school, had faced betrayals of supposed friends not too long prior, I had faced bullying and the disappointment of my parents when my grades were never as good enough. I'll spare you all the details, but needless to say I had gotten into some very dark places early in my high school career, so dark that during my more crushing bouts of depression I had actually attempted suicide.

 

Then came Engage Youth, I remember my mother practically forcing me to go that first night. I hadn't objected because I knew enough that objecting and arguingwould have gotten me no where. What I experienced that first nightwas nothing short of a miracle, at least to me. Such beautiful music, such friendly people... By the end of that night, I eagerly awaited the next time to see everyone that following Sunday.

 

And so it went, Sunday after Sunday, meeting after meeting, I met amazing people. I met great friends, my faith deepened throughout the Wednesday nights and Sunday mornings. Above all I found something that let me see past my despair and infused in me a desire to live. So much of the person that I am now has been defined by my years in Engage that it is impossible to imagine who I would be without those experiences. Without you I know I may not even be here today to write this letter.

 

I had never understood the Bible and God in a way like I now do because of you. You teach to us in a way that you know we will understand and respond to. I have learned more from your teaching in 2 years than I have from anyone else in all of my 18 years. You have a way with words and I believe you will make an excellent teacher by the way you "preach" to us on Wednesday nights.

 

From the way you teach, you show me God's love personified in the world. So with that being said, I thank God everyday that I have you in my life, because I don't know if I would be here today without you.

 

You have been there for me since day one. After everything I've went through, you were the only person who never left my side. You have held me while I've cried my eyes out, and prayed with me when my demons had my life in their palms. You have rebuilt my confidence and showed me that I have a place in this world. You saved my life and I can not thank you enough for it.

 

So thank you, and all of the staff for your hard work and devotion. I just wanted to let you know how grateful I am to have had all of you in my life. Thank you, truly from the bottom of my heart, Thank you.